Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I Want a New Drug



In 1988 C. Everett Coop, the then renown Surgeon General, declared that nicotine was as addictive as heroin or cocaine ( http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2007/05/dayintech_0516). Looking back, I don't think anyone really thought that much about it as a drug, but when lumped in with the nasties, it made us take a harder look at tobacco. In fact, he was the one that forced the Surgeon General's label to be put on all tobacco products; probably a good thing, but likely not saving any lives.

A couple of days ago I was enjoying a blast from the past as I played a round of golf with my brother in Dallas. While driving to the course, I heard the song "I want a New Drug by Huey Lewis and the News. I loved that song back in the day and I think it is worthy of a remix, maybe even a church version. Remember the lyrics of the first verse:

I want a new drug
One that won't make me sick
One that won't make me crash my car
Or make me feel three feet thick
I want a new drug
One that won't hurt my head
One that won't make my mouth too dry
Or make my eyes too red
One that won't make me nervous
Wondering what to do
One that makes me feel like I feel when I'm with you
When I'm alone with you.

Man that's what I'm talking about! I want a new drug that makes me feel like I feel when I get alone with Jesus. One that gives me that energy, cleansing, assurance, and community. One that won't make me nervous in His presence, wondering what to do, but rather one that helps me see my place in the scheme of things; my insignificance in the universe, but my purpose in the Kingdom of God.

We have that drug, it's the Spirit, the pneuma, the breath of God, I think. We should OD as fast as possible.

Oh yeah, the last verse:

I want a new drug
One that does what it should
One that won't make me feel too bad
One that won't make me feel too good
I want a new drug One with no doubt
One that won't make me talk too much
Or make my face break out
One that won't make me nervous
Wondering what to do
One that makes me feel like I feel when I'm with you
When I'm alone with you

Quite appropriate in describing the Breath of God don't you think?

2 comments:

JENNYLOU said...

huuuuummmmmmmm!!!!!!

and you know the great thing is,is that the spirit is there. that drug you talk about is there we just have to breath it in. its like what Taylor does sometimes. when he is out playing military all dressed up in camo. I will walk around looking for him and turn around and he is standing right behind me, he never left my side. the spirit never leaves me. I just turn around and ignore its presents. lets be opposite of Clinton and say we did inhale our drug of choice this week.

payneboy said...

That's a great insight Jenny. I also like the idea of being opposite of Clinton. I just wish I could say that I INHALED this week; that I took in all that the Spirit had for me!