Saturday, May 19, 2007

What do you think would happen . . .

What do you think would happen if people showed up "for church" on Sunday and there was a sign on the door announcing "We are being the church today at The XYZ Nursing Home. Come and join us as we go . . ." (John 20:21).

Okay, seriuosly, how many would actually go (what %) and how many would start looking for a new church? How many would just throw up their hands in disgust or disbelief? How low would the offering go that day?

But, how many smiles would we generate? How many hearts would jump at our sight? What would that 85 year old grandmother who hasn't seen any family for months think/do when we all lined up to give her a hug? And what if we brought REAL food with us? You know, that home-cooked church kind of food? That might make some old guy do a jig!

And what if we had no agenda but to just go and spend time there, making new friends and enjoying the company of those older and wiser than us? Sure, if someone requested, we could all sing/hum (in my case) an old hymn or whatever, but just going to be salt and light and to let someone's light shine on us!!! Tell me that wouldn't possibly be an outstanding morning!

I can hear someone say, "What of preaching and worship? How would our week go without them?" Well I have 2 thoughts: 1) This one is more positive than the other so i'll put it in first. How about we meet on a different day or maybe even at a different place for that; and 2) Like missing that stuff is really going to make a difference for one week? I mean most of us are hearers anyway, so it's not like the sermon and worship and coffee are going to change us and make us go and DO anything this weak (yes I know how I spelled it).

So, what do you think would happen?

4 comments:

JENNYLOU said...

I HAVE NO COMMENT TO THAT ONE. WELL I DO BUT IT SOUNDS VERY NEGATIVE, SO IM THINKING ABOUT IT MORE. I PERSONALLY WOULD BE FINE. BUT I DONT THINK THAT EVERYONE COULD DO IT WITHOUT AN AGENDA.

tinadell said...

to be honest, yes, I would be ticked. Only because that was the way I was raised....Baptist church, sunday singings and preachings and that is it. I am mentally working on becoming open to whatever God has for us and the church. It is just gonna be a process, but at least my mind has been opened now to new ideas, and i now know that "CHURCH" does not mean the typical sunday morning.

Susie said...

Good girl Tina, good girl! And BTW~your mom was so AWESOME last night! You are a very blessed daughter!!! :-]
SP

Jackie said...

I think it would be soo excited. I am very excited about the changes to come, and I cant wait to get out in the community. I think I would miss worship time, but we could meet another day in the week, and like you said it wont kill us to miss one week. But I am ready to see how this is going to work. I just hope they everyone can commit and we can stick to it!!